The paper shows the possibility of using terrestrial plants in phytoremediation of water bodies. The impact of the ions Cd(II) on the growth of plants of common barley (Hordeum vulgаre L.) and oat (Avena sativa L.), and on biomass and transpiration of plants of rye (Secale cereale L.); was investigated. To study the influence of ions of cadmium(II) on the growth characteristics of plants bioplato was designed. Measurements of the length of roots, shoots and biomass were performed at 7th, 15th and 21st day of incubation a bioplato on the solution with cadmium ions 1, 2 and 100 mg/l. A stronger inhibitory effect of cadmium on plant root growth was found. The inverse relationship between the degree of transpiration of plants and concentration of cadmium was established. As a result of the studies, the dependence of concentration–effect was confirmed: higher concentrations of cadmium caused greater toxic effects on plants. The proposed technology of phytoremediation can be used in the range of cadmium ion concentrations, which is at least 100 times higher than maximum residue limit.
Keywords: Secale cereale, Hordeum vulgare, Avena sativa, phytoremediation, bioplato, cadmium(II)
Full text and suplimented materialsFree full text: PDF
1. Akimova, O.R., Kuraieva, I.V. & Zlobina, K.S. (2013). Lithological characteristics and geochemical distribution of heavy metals in surface waters and bottom sediments of the Kiev Megapolis. Ekologiia i pryrodokorystuvannia, Is. 17, pp. 98-104 [in Ukrainian].
2. Glazunova, I.V., Romashchenko, A.K. & Tishina, K.A. (2018). Bioengineering structures and storage of local drainage of watersheds for the most effective use of water resources of river basins. Prirodoobustroystvo, No. 2, pp. 46-54 [in Russian].
3. Nefedeva, E.E., Sivolobova, N.O., Kravtsov, M.V. & Shayhiev, I.G. (2017). Purification of sewage with the help of phytoremediation. Vestnik Kazanskogo tehnologicheskogo un-ta, 20, No. 10, pp. 145-148 [in Russian].
4. Ul'rih, D.V. & Timofeeva, S.S. (2016). Phytoremedia of contaminated soils and man-made soils of tailings in the territory of the Southern Ural Mining Companies. Gornyiy informatsionno-analiticheskiy byulleten (nauchno-tehnicheskiy zhurnal), 15, pp. 341-349 [in Russian].
5. Sorochinskii, B.V., Mikhyeyev, O.M. & Grodzinskii, D.M. (2002). Application of plant technologies for decontamination of soils and water objects contaminated with radionuclides after the Chernobyl accident. Fiziologiia roslyn v Ukraini na mezhi tisiacholit', 2, pp. 107-110 [in Ukrainian].
6. Vymazal, J. (2010). Constructed Wetlands for Wastewater Treatment. Water, 2, No. 3, pp. 530-549. https://doi.org/10.3390/w2030530
7. Ul'rih, D.V. & Bryuhov, M.N. (2014). The ability to use phytoremediation facilities for wastewater treatment. Nauka YuUrGU: materialy 66 nauchnoj konferentsii, pp. 1050-1054 [in Russian].
8. Madzhd, S.M. (2016). Experience in exploiting hydrophilic structures in Ukraine and in the world. Naukoiemni technologii, No. 2, pp. 228-231 [in Ukrainian].
9. Timofeeva, S.S., Ulrih, D.V. & Timofeev, S.S. (2016). Fitofilters for wastewater treatment. Vestnik Kazanskogo tehnologicheskogo un-ta, 19, No. 16, pp. 162-165 [in Russian].
10. Sokolov, Yu.N., Plotnitskiy, L.A., Stryuk, T.Yu. & Dyakov, O.A. (2009). Use of bioplato to reduce nutrient contamination of reservoirs and watercourses. Visnyk Odeskogo derzhavnogo ekologichnogo un-tu, Is. 7, pp. 20-25 [in Ukrainian].
11. Evdokimova, G.A., Ivanova, L.P., Mozgova, N.P., Myazin, V.A. & Fokina, N.V. (2016). Floating bioplato for purification of waste quarry waters from mineral nitrogen compounds in the Arctic. Journal of Environmental Science and Health, Part A, No. 51, pp. 1-6. https://doi.org/10.1080/10934529.2016.1181454
12. Madzhd, S. M., Panchenko, A. O. & Bondar, A. M. (2017). The role of higher aquatic plants in the degradation of pollutants in bioengineering hydrofit structures. Naukoiemni technologii, No. 1, pp. 89-93 [in Ukrainian]. https://doi.org/10.18372/2310-5461.33.11564
13. Gu, L., Zhenbin, W. & Shuiping, C. (2007). Application of constructed wetlands on wastewater treatment for aquaculture ponds. Wuhan University Journal of Natural Sciences, 12, No. 6, pp. 1131-1135. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11859-007-0116-7
14. Mikheev, A.N., Lapan, O.V. & Madzhd, S.M. (2017). Experimental foundations of a new method for rhizofiltration treatment of aqueous ecosystems from 137Cs. Journal of water chemistry and technology, No. 4, pp. 1-5. https://doi.org/10.3103/S1063455X17040117
15. Kaznina, N.M., Titov, A.F., Laydinen, G.F. & Batova, Yu.V. (2011). Influence of cadmium on water exchange of barley plants. Trudy Karelskogo nauchnogo tsentra RAN, No. 3, pp. 57-61 [in Russian].