The features of growth and development of the leaf photosynthetic apparatus, photosynthesis, respiration, transpiration, the changes in the parameters of chlorophyll fluorescence induction (quantum efficiency of photosystem II (PS II) in leaves adapted to darkness and light, non-photochemical quenching of fluorescence (NPQ) and the rate of electron transport in chloroplasts) of eggplant under the influence of auxin, gibberellin and cytokinin growth stimulants and gibberellin inhibitors that differ in the mechanism of their action were studied. It was shown that treatment with growth stimulants: 1-naphthylacetic acid (1-NAA), gibberellic acid (GA3) and 6-benzylaminopurine (6-BAP) increased the linear growth of plants while gibberellin inhibitors: chlormequat chloride (ССС-750), tebuconazole (EW-250) and esphon (2-chloroethylphosphonic acid, 2-CEPA) decreased it. Growth stimulators and EW-250 increased the number of leaves on the plant, the weight of fresh and dry leaf matter, while ССС-750 and 2-CEPA decreased them. All studied growth stimulants increased the total leaf area of plant and anti-gibberellins decreased it. Gibberellin inhibitors as well as growth stimulators 6-BAP and 1-NAA increased the specific weight of the leaf, while GA3 decreased or did not change it. The total chlorophyll content significantly increased under the treatment with 6-BAP and EW-250 but significantly decreased after treatment with GA3. Anti-gibberellins and 6-BAP increased the CO2 assimilation rate, activity of photorespiration and dark respiration, and enhanced transpiration rate. At the stage of fruit formation, all preparation used (except 2-CEPA) enhanced water use efficiency. Retardants CCC-750 and EW-250 increased the quantum efficiency of PS II in the light and the rate of linear electron transport in chloroplasts during carpogenesis. It was concluded that all the indicated positive changes under the action of growth regulators in the physiological parameters of the eggplant plants photosynthetic apparatus contribute to the fuller realization of their productivity potential.
Keywords: Solanum melongena L., growth regulators, morphogenesis, leaf apparatus, chlorophyll, photosynthesis, transpiration, chlorophyll fluorescence induction
Full text and supplemented materialsFree full text: PDF
1. Hu, J., Ren, B., Dong, S., Liu, P., Zhao, B. & Zhang, J. (2020). Comparative proteomic analysis reveals that exogenous 6-benzyladenine (6-BA) improves the defense system activity of waterlogged summer maize. BMC plant biology, 20, No. 1, pp. 1-19. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12870-020-2261-5
2. Sabale, S.S., Lahane, G.R. & Dhakulkar, S.J. (2017). Effect of various plant growth regulators on growth and yield of cotton (Gossypium hirsutum). International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences, 6, No. 11, pp. 978-989. https://doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2017.611.115
3. Khan, M.N. & Mohammad, F. (2013). Effect of GA3, N and P ameliorate growth, seed and fibre yield by enhancing photosynthetic capacity and carbonic anhydrase activity of linseed. Integrative Agriculture, 12, No. 7, pp. 1183-1194. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2095-3119(13)60443-8
4. Luo, Y., Yang, D., Yin, Y., Cui, Z., Li, Y., Chen, J., Zheng, M., Wang, Y., Pang, D., Li, Y. & Wang, Z. (2016). Effects of exogenous 6-BA and nitrogen fertilizers with varied rates on function and fluorescence characteristics of wheat leaves post anthesis. Scientia Agricultura Sinica, 49, No. 6, pp. 1060-1083. https://doi.org/10.3864/ j.issn.0578-1752.2016.06.004
5. Xiaotao, D., Yuping, J., Hong, W., Haijun, J., Hongmei, Z., Chunhong, C. & Jizhu, Y. (2013). Effects of cytokinin on photosynthetic gas exchange, chlorophyll fluorescence parameters, antioxidative system and carbohydrate accumulation in cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.) under low light. Acta Physiologiae Plantarum, 35, No. 5, pp. 1427-1438. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11738-012-1182-9
6. Ahanger, M.A., Alyemeni, M.N., Wijaya, L., Alamri, S.A., Alam, P., Ashraf, M. & Ahmad, P. (2018). Potential of exogenously sourced kinetin in protecting Solanum lycopersicum from NaCl-induced oxidative stress through up-regulation of the antioxidant system, ascorbate-glutathione cycle and glyoxalase system. PLoS One, 13, No. 9, e0202175. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0202175
7. Singh, S. & Prasad, S.M. (2014). Growth, photosynthesis and oxidative responses of Solanum melongena L. seedlings to cadmium stress: mechanism of toxicity amelioration by kinetin. Scientia Horticulturae, 176, pp. 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scienta.2014.06.022
8. Ouzounidou, G., Ilias, I., Giannakoula, A. & Papadopoulou, P. (2010). Comparative study on the effects of various plant growth regulators on growth, quality and physiology of Capsicum annuum L. Pakistan Journal of Botany, 42, No. 2, pp. 805-814.
9. Li, L.L., Gu, W.R., Li, C.F., Li, W.H., Chen, X.C., Zhang, L.G. & Wei, S. (2019). Dual application of ethephon and DCPTA increases maize yield and stalk strength. Agronomy Journal, 111, No. 2, pp. 612-627. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj2018.06.0363
10. Yan, Y., Wan, Y., Liu, W., Wang, X., Yong, T., Yang, W. & Zhao, L. (2015). Influence of seed treatment with uniconazole powder on soybean growth, photosynthesis, dry matter accumulation after flowering and yield in relay strip intercropping system. Plant Production Science, 18, No. 3, pp. 295-301. https://doi.org/10.1626/pps.18.295
11. Yooyongwech, S., Samphumphuang, T., Tisarum, R., Theerawitaya, C. & Cha-Um, S. (2017). Water-deficit tolerance in sweet potato [Ipomoea batatas (L.) Lam.] by foliar application of paclobutrazol: role of soluble sugar and free proline. Frontiers in Plant Science, 8, 1400. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2017.01400
12. Miroshnichenko, I.M., Makoveychuk, T.I., Mykhalska, L.M. & Schwartau, V.V. (2017). Changes in the elemental composition of winter wheat plants caused by the action of Megafol and retardants. Regulatory Mechanisms in Biosystems, 8, No. 3, pp. 403-409 [in Ukrainian]. https://doi.org/10.15421/021762
13. Dospekhov, B.A. (1985). Methods of field experiment. Moscow: Agropromizdat [in Russian].
14. Kazakov, E.A. (2000). Methodological bases of the experiment on plant physiology. Kyiv: Phytosociocenter [in Ukrainian].
15. Gavrilenko, V.F., Ladygina, M.E. & Handobina, M.N. (1975). Big practicum on plant physiology. Moscow: Vysshaya shkola [in Russian].
16. Mokronosov, A.T. & Kovalev, A.G. (Eds.). (1989). Photosynthesis and bioproductivity: methods of determination. Moskow: Agropromizdat [in Russian].
17. Murchie, E.H. & Lawson, T. (2013). Chlorophyll fluorescence analysis: a guide to good practice and understanding some new applications. Journal of Experimental Botany, 64, No. 13, pp. 3983-3998. https://doi.org/10.1093/jxb/ert208
18. Qiu, L.H., Chen, R.F., Luo, H.M., Fan, Y.G., Huang, X., Liu, J.X., Xiong, F.Q., Zhou, H.W., Gan, C.K., Wu, J.M. & Li, Y.R. (2019). Effects of exogenous GA3 and DPC treatments on levls of endogenous hormone and expression of key gibberellin biosynthesis pathway genes during stem elongation in sugarcane. Sugar Tech, 21, No. 6, pp. 936-948. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12355-019-00728-7
19. Phawa, T., Prasad, V.M. & Rajwade, V.B. (2017). Effect of plant growth regulators on growth and flowering of pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) cv. Kandhari in Allahabad agro-climatic conditions. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences, 6, No. 8, pp. 116-121. https://doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2017.608.015
20. Tantasawat, P.A., Sorntip, A. & Pornbungkerd, P. (2015). Effects of exogenous application of plant growth regulators on growth, yield, and in vitro gynogenesis in cucumber. Hort. Science, 50, No. 3, pp. 374-382. https://doi.org/10.21273/HORTSCI.50.3.374
21. Wang, Y., Gu, W., Xie, T., Li, L., Sun, Y., Zhang, H., Li, J. & Wei, S. (2016). Mixed compound of DCPTA and CCC increases maize yield by improving plant morphology and up-regulating photosynthetic capacity and antioxidants. PLoS One, 11, No. 2, e0149404. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0149404
22. Shi, X., Chen, S. & Jia, Z. (2020). The dwarfing effects of different plant growth retardants on Magnolia wufengensis L.Y. Ma et L.R. Wang. Forests, 12, No. 1, p. 19. https://doi.org/10.3390/f12010019
23. Rogach, V.V., Poprotska, I.V., & Kuryata, V.G. (2016). Effect of gibberellin and retardants on morphogenesis, photosynthetic apparatus and productivity of the potato. Visnyk of Dnipropetrovsk University. Biology, ecology, 24, No. 2, pp. 416-420 [in Ukrainian]. https://doi.org/10.15421/011656
24. Rogach, V.V. & Rogach, T.I. (2015). Influence of synthetic growth stimulators on morphological and physiological characteristics and biological productivity of potato culture. Visnyk of Dnipropetrovsk University. Biology, ecology, 23, No. 2, pp. 221-224 [in Ukrainian]. https://doi.org/10.15421/011532
25. Rohach, V.V., Stasik O.O., Kiriziy, D.A., Sytnyk S.K., Kuryata, V.G. & Rohach, T.I. (2023). The effects of growth regulators on the photosynthetic apparatus of the sweet pepper (Capsicum annuum L.) in relation to the productivity. Fiziol. rast. genet., 55, No. 1, pp. 25-45 [in Ukrainian]. https://doi.org/10.15407/frg2023.01.025
26. Rai, R.K., Tripathi, N., Gautam, D. & Singh, P. (2017). Exogenous application of ethrel and gibberellic acid stimulates physiological growth of late planted sugarcane with short growth period in sub-tropical India. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation, 36, No. 2, pp. 472-486. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00344-016-9655-5
27. Surya, M.I., Ismaini, L., Normasiwi, S., Putri, D.M. & Kurniawan, V. (2020). Plant Growth Regulators Affecting Leaf Traits of Loquat Seedling. Annual Research & Review in Biology, 35, No. 11, pp. 73-85. https://doi.org/10.9734/arrb/2020/v35i1130301
28. Secondo, A.P. & Reddy, Y.N. (2018). Plant growth retardants improve sink strength and yield of sunflower. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences, 7, No. 10, pp. 111-119. https://doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2018.710.013
29. Kashid, D.A. (2008). Effect of growth retardants on growth, physiology and yield in sunflower (Helianthus annus L.). Ph.D. (Agric.) thesis, Univ. Agril. Sci., Dharwad.
30. Kim, T.Y. & Hong, J.H. (2012). Effects of hexaconazole on growth and antioxidant potential of cucumber seedlings under UV-B radiation. Journal of Environmental Science International, 21, No. 12, pp. 1435-1447. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2012.21.12.1435
31. Rogach, V.V., Kravets, O.O., Buina, O.I. & Kuryata, V.G. (2018). Dynamic of accumulation and redistribution of various carbohydrate forms and nitrogen in organs of tomatoes under treatment with retardants. Regulatory Mechanisms in Biosystems, 9, No. 2, pp. 293-299 [in Ukrainian]. https://doi.org/10.15421/021843
32. Hussein, M.M., Bakheta, M.A. & Zaki, S.N.S. (2014). Influence of uniconazole on growth characters, photosynthetic pigments, total carbohydrates and total soluble sugars of Hordeum vulgare L. plants grown under salinity stress. International Journal of Science and Research, 3, No. 12, pp. 2208-2214. https://doi.org/10.21275/ OCT141094
33. Sukul, A., Sukul, N.C., Sen, P., Bhattacharya, A. & Sukul, S. (2014). Homeopathic potencies alter photosynthesis of cowpea. Homeopathy, 103, No. 01, pp. 91-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.homp.2013.10.062
34. Ren, B., Zhang, J., Dong, S., Liu, P. & Zhao, B. (2017). Regulations of 6-benzyladenine (6-BA) on leaf ultrastructure and photosynthetic characteristics of waterlogged summer maize. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation, 36, No. 3, pp. 743-754. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00344-017-9677-7
35. Saeidi-Sar, S., Abbaspour, H., Afshari, H. & Yaghoobi, S.R. (2013). Effects of ascorbic acid and gibberellin A3 on alleviation of salt stress in common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) seedlings. Acta Physiologiae Plantarum, 35, No. 3, pp. 667-677. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11738-012-1107-7
36. Yin, B., Zhang, Y. & Zhang, Y. (2011). Effects of plant growth regulators on growth and yields characteristics in adzuki beans (Phaseolus angularis). Frontiers of Agriculture in China, 5, No. 4, pp. 519-523. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11703-011-1150-y
37. Aldesuquy, H. (2015). Synergistic effect of phytohormones on pigment and fine structure of chloroplasts in flag leaf of wheat plants irrigated by seawater. Egyptian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, 2, No. 4, pp. 310-317. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejbas.2015.07.002
38. Wu, H., Xiang, J., Chen, H.Z., Zhang, Y.P., Zhang, Y.K. & Zhu, F. (2018). Effects of exogenous growth regulators on plant elongation and carbohydrate consumption of rice seedlings under submergence. The Journal of Applied Ecology, 29, No. 1, pp. 149-157. https://doi.org/10.13287/j.1001-9332.201801.021
39. Kumari, S. (2017). Effect of Kinetin (6-FAP) and Cycocel (CCC) on growth, metabolism and cellular organelles in Pearl Millet (Pennisetum glaucum) under water stress. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences, 6, No. 8, pp. 2711-2719. https://doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2017.608.325
40. Zhang, W., Xu, F., Cheng, H., Li, L., Cao, F. & Cheng, S. (2013). Effect of chlorocholine chloride on chlorophyll, photosynthesis, soluble sugar and flavonoids of Ginkgo biloba. Notulae Botanicae Horti Agrobotanici Cluj-Napoca, 41, No. 1, pp. 97-103. https://doi.org/10.15835/nbha4118294
41. Iqbal, M. & Ashraf, M. (2013). Gibberellic acid mediated induction of salt tolerance in wheat plants: Growth, ionic partitioning, photosynthesis, yield and hormonal homeostasis. Environmental and Experimental Botany, 86, pp. 76-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envexpbot.2010.06.002
42. Rohach, V.V., Kiriziy, D.A., Stasik, O.O. & Rohach, T.I. (2020). Morphogenesis, photosynthesis and productivity of eggplants under the influence of growth regulators with various action mechanisms. Fiziol. rast. genet., 52, No. 2, pp. 152-168 [in Ukrainian]. https://doi.org/10.15407/frg2020.02.152
43. Stasik, O.O. & Kiriziy, D.A. (2011). Regulatory mechanisms and limiting factors in the photosynthesis-productivity relationships and prospects for their optimization. Physiology and biochemistry of cultivated plants, 43, No. 3. pp. 226-238 [in Ukrainian].