The quantitative indices of plastid photosynthetic pigments in the leaves of deciduous shrubbery Vaccinium corymbosum L., which grow in the same climatic conditions in the south of Belarus, were studied in order to quantify and compare seasonal changes in the efficiency of photosynthesis. For each variety of the studied plants V. corymbosum L., certain differences were noted on the content of photosynthetic pigments in regard to the ontogenetic stage, in particular to the natural light period, which manifested in the relative content of chlorophylls a and b, the ratio between them, the relative content of carotenoids to chlorophylls. The data obtained on the absolute and relative plastid pigments content, as well as on the ratio between them, indicate the presence of varietal specificity in the plant reaction on reducing the length of daylight hours.
Keywords: Vaccinium corymbosum L., chlorophyll, carotenoids, ontogenesis
Full text and supplemented materialsFree full text: PDF
1. Golubeva, E.I., Chervyakova, A.A., Shmakova, N.Yu., Zimin M.V. & Timohina, Yu.I. (2019). Species and phytocenotic features of the pigment composition of northern plants. Ecology, is.1, pp. 6-12 [in Russian].
2. Tarchevskij, I.A. (1977). Basics of photosynthesis. Moscow: Higher school [in Russian].
3. Mokronosov, A.T., Gavrilenko, V.F. & Zhigalova T.V. (2006). Photosynthesis. Physiological, ecological and biochemical aspects. Moscow: Akademia [in Russian].
4. Kyparissis, A., Drilias, P. & Manetas, Y. (2000). Seasonal fluctuations in photoprotective (xanthophyll cycle) and photoselective (chlorophylls) capacity in eight Mediterranean plant species belong to two different growth forms. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology, 27, pp. 265-272. https://doi.org/10.1071/PP99037
5. Demmig-Adams, B. & Adams, W.W. (1992). Photoprotection and Other Responses of Plants to High Light Stress. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology, 43, pp. 599-626. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.pp.43.060192.003123
6. Britton, G. (1995). Structure and properties of carotenoids in relation to function. The FASEB Journal, 9, pp. 1551-1558. https://doi.org/10.1096/fasebj.9.15.8529834
7. Biswall, B. (1995). Carotenoid catabolism during leaf senescence and its control by light. Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B: Biology, 30, pp. 3-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/1011-1344(95)07197-A
8. Thurnham, D.I. (1994). Carotenoids: functions and fallacies. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, 53, is. 1, pp. 77-87. https://doi.org/10.1079/PNS19940012
9. Andrianova, Yu.E. & Tarchevskij, I.A. (2000). Chlorophyll and plant productivity. Moscow: Science [in Russian].
10. Sarijeva, G., Knapp Hartmut, M. & Lichtenthaler, K. (2007). Differences in photosynthetic activity, chlorophyll and carotenoid levels and in chlorophyll fluorescence parameters in green sun and shade leaves of Ginkgo and Fagus. Journal of Plant Physiology, 164, is. 7, pp. 950-955. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jplph.2006.09.002
11. Zarubina, L.V. & Konovalov, V.N. (2009). Peculiarities of the seasonal dynamics of pigments in the leaves of plants of the dwarf shrub-sphagnum pine forest. Forest Journal, No 4, pp. 24-32 [in Russian].
12. Pavlovskij, N.B. (2016). Comparative morphological characteristics of highbush blueberry fruits (Vaccinium corymbosum L.) varieties introduced in Belarus. Vesti NAS Belarus. Biological Science Series, is. 2, pp. 108-114 [in Russian].
13. Kurlovich, T.V. & Bosak, V.N. (1998). Highbush blueberries in Belarus. Minsk: Navuka [in Russian].
14. Pavlovskij, N.B. (2018) Fruiting of varieties of higybush blueberry (Vaccinium corymbosum L.) in Belarus. Vesti NAS Belarus. Biological Science Series, is. 4, pp. 486-499 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.29235/1029-8940-2018-63-4-486-499
15. Castrejyn, A.D.R., Eichholz, I., Rohn, S., Kroh, L.W. & Huyskens-Keil, S. (2008). Phenolic profile and antioxidant activity of highbush blueberry (Vaccinium corymbosum L.) during fruit maturation and ripening. Food Chemistry, 109, No 3, pp. 564-572. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2008.01.007
16. Pervin, Md M., Hasnat Beong, A. & Lim, O. (2013). Antibacterial and antioxidant activities of Vaccinium corymbosum L. leaf extract. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Disease, 3, No 6, pp. 444-453. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2222-1808(13)60099-7
17. Ermakov, A.I. [ed.] (1987). Biochemical research methods of plants. Agropromizdat: Leningrad [in Russian].
18. Rokitsky, P.F. (1967). Biological statistics. Minsk: High school [in Russian].
19. Weather in the city of Gantsevichi in December 2019 [Electronic resource]/ WeatherArchive.ru. Access mode: http://www.weatherarchive.ru/Temperature/ Gantsevichi/December-2019#6. Access date: 15.10.2020.
20. Pavlovskij, N.B. (2014). Resistance to early winter frosts of blueberry varieties introduced in Belarus. Fruit growing: Collection of scientific papers, pp.256-270 [in Russian].
21. Konovalov, V.N. & Konovalova, L.V. (1996). Adaptive features of physiological traits in plants in the Far North. Forest Journal, is 6, pp. 26-31 [in Russian].
22. Rabinovich, E. (1953). Photosynthesis. V. 2. Moscow: Moscow Foreign Literature [in Russian].
23. Belova, T.A. & Babkina, L.A. (2017). Changes in the content of chlorophylls and carotenoids in the leaves of woody plants in central Russia. Auditorium. Electronic scientific journal of Kursk State University, 2 (14), pp. 34-38 [in Russian].
24. Kulikov, G.L. & Ivantsova, Z.V. (1977). Dynamics of pigments in leaves of evergreen and deciduous arboreus plants in Crimea. Botanicheskij zhurnal, 62, is. 7, pp. 1053-1062 [in Russian].