National University of Life and Environmental Sciences of Ukraine 15 Heroiv Oborony St., Kyiv, 03041, Ukraine e-mail: Klyachenko@ukr.net
The dynamics of biosynthesis of various forms of pectin substances in sugar beet roots during the ontogenesis was studied, and the phase of maximum accumulation of water-soluble pectin and protopectin was determined. Significant genotypic differences in the content of pectin substances in sugar beet roots of Ukrainian and foreign breeding were revealed and a high correlation between the formation of sugar content and the accumulation of protopectin and the amount of pectin substances was found. The regularities of changes in pectin substances and indices of technical quality and stability during long-term storage of roots were investigated. It is proved that varieties and hybrids of Ukrainian selection were the most stable. It is assumed that the content of pectin substances has a positive effect on the stability of roots during their storage before processing.
Keywords: Beta vulgaris L., sugar beet, root crop, pectin substances, storage, sustainability
Full text and supplemented materialsFree full text: PDF
1. Balahoncev, E.N. (1979). Influence of the regime of mineral nutrition and climate on the accumulation of polysaccharides in the sugar beet root crop. Minaral'noe pitanie, metabolizm i produktivnost' saharnoj svekly (pp. 37-45), Ufa [in Russian].
2. Hlevaskyi, V.I. (2015). The quality of sugar beet root crops of domestic and foreign breeding after storage. Ahrobiolohiia, No. 2, pp. 28-32 [in Ukrainian].
3. Gorshkova, T.A. (2005). Plant cell wall — a stumbling block for molecular biologists. Fiziologija rastenij, 52, No. 3, pp. 443-462 [in Russian].
4. Gorshkova, T.A. (2007). Plant cell as a dynamic system. Moskow: Nauka [in Russian].
5. Dautova, Z.F. & Alimgafarov, R.R. (2013). Chemical composition of the sugar beet root crop. Sovremennye naukoemkie technologii, No. 9, pp. 12-13 [in Russian].
6. Donchenko, L.V., Firsov, G.G. & Krasnoselova, E.A. (2006). Features of the process of protopectin hydrolysis from plant tissue. Trudy Kubanskogo gosudarstvennogo agrarnogo universiteta, (pp. 288-297), Krasnodar [in Russian].
7. Kliachenko, O.L. & Funina, I.R. (2005). Specificity features of accumulation of pectin substances in sugar beet root crops. Naukovyi visnyk NAU, Iss. 84, pp. 264-269 [in Ukrainian].
8. Kursanov, A.L. (1988). Chloroplast as a sensor of plant assimilates. Moskow: Nauka [in Russian].
9. Ermakov, A.I. (Ed.) (1987). Methods of biochemical research of plants. Leningrad: Agropromizdat [in Russian].
10. Methods of research on sugar beet. (1988.) Kyiv: VNIS [in Russian].
11. Roik, M.V. (Ed.) (2002). Methodology and technique of conducting works in breeding crop rotation. Kyiv: Naukovyi svit [in Ukrainian].
12. Piskureva, V.A. (2012). Dynamics of accumulation of pectic substances in beet root crops (Beta vulgaris L.) in ontogenesis. (Extended abstract of Candidate thesis). Orel, Russia [in Russian].
13. Pochinok, H.N. (1976). Methods of biochemical analysis of plants. Kyiv: Naukova dumka [in Russian].
14. Sakalo, V.D. (2004). The metabolism of sucrose and its regulation in plants with different composition of storage carbohydrates. (Extended abstract of Doctor thesis). Institute of Plant Physiology and Genetics, Kyiv, Ukraine [in Ukrainian].
15. Silin, P.M. & Silina, N.P. (1960). Chemical control of sugar beet production. Moskow: Pishhevaja promyshlennost' [in Russian].
16. Sobol, I.V., Stepovoj, A.V. & Rodionova, L.Ja. (2010). Investigation of the drying process of food mixtures enriched with pectin. In Novye tehnologii MGTU (pp. 73-77). Majkop [in Russian].
17. Stepovoj, A.V. & Rodionova, L.Ja. (2015). Improvement of pretreatment of beet pulp for production of food pectin extract. Molodoj uchenyj, No. 5, pp. 102-106.
18. Stepovoj, A.V. (2013). Perfection of food hydrate-pectin technology from beet pulp for the production of functional drinks. (Extended abstract of Candidate thesis). Krasnodar, Russia [in Russian].
19. Jarchuk, N.N. (2002). Sugar crisis of Ukraine, signs of recovery. Sahar, No. 3, pp. 4-5 [in Russian].
20. Baydoun, E.A.-H., Pavlencheva, N., Cumming, C.M., Waldron, K.W. & Breett, C. (2004). Control of degidrodiferulate cross-linking in pectins from sugar-beet tissues. Phytochemistry, 65, pp. 1107-1115. doi: https://doi: 10.1016/j.phytochem. 2004.02.014
21. Chee Kiong, Siew & Williams, P.A. (2008). Characterization of the surface-active components of sugar beet pectin and the hydrodynamic thickness of the adsorbed pectin layer. J. Agric. Food Chem, 56, pp. 8111-8120. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf801588a
22. Combo, A.M.M., Aguedo, M., Quievy, N., Danthine, S., Goffin, D., Jacquet, N., Blecker, C., Devaux, J. & Pagout, M. (2013). Characterization of sugar beet pectin-derived oligosaccharides obtained by enzymatic hydrolysis. Int. J. of Biol. Macromol., 52, pp. 148-156. doi: https:// dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2012.09.006 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2012.09.006
23. Kцhler, R. & Nolte-Ochsenfurt, R. (2001). Wertbestimmende Parameter der Zuckerrьbe. Fortschritte im Zuckerrьbenanbau (pp. 14-21), Sьdzucker AG Mannheim.
24. Yapo, B.M., Robert, C., Etienne, I., Wathelet, B. & Paquot, M. (2007). Effect of extraction conditions on the yield, purity and surface properties of sugar beet pulp pectin extracts. Food Chemistry, 100, pp. 1356-1364. doi: https://doi: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2005.12.012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2005.12.012
25. Zaidel, Dayang, Norulfairuz, Abang & Meyer Anne, S. (2013). Oxidative enzymatic gelation of sugar beet pectin for emulsion stabilization. Research J. of Biotechnology, 8 (7), pp. 81-86.