The analysis of correlations between the photosynthetic traits of the flag leaf and components of the grain productivity of plants of high-yielding modern variety Favorytka and variety of earlier selection Myronivska 808 at different level of mineral nutrition was conducted. It was found that the CO2 assimilation rate and transpiration rate at anthesis and the phase of milky-wax ripeness closely positively correlated with the mass of grain, grain number and weight of 1000 grains of main shoot spike. The correlation of chlorophyll and Rubisco contents with the grain productivity was stronger at the phase of milky-wax ripeness that resulted from weak coupling these indices with the mass of 1000 grains at anthesis but their close correlations with the both components of spike productivity at the later stages of reproductive period. The effects of negative relationship between the number of grains per spike and weight of 1000 grains on the expression of links between photosynthetic traits and productivity in winter wheat plants are discussed.
Keywords: Triticum aestivum L., photosynthesis, transpiration, chlorophyll, Rubisco, productivity, grain number, grain weight
Full text and supplemented materialsFree full text: PDF
1. Kiriziy, D.A., Shadchina, T.M., Stasik, O.O., Pryadkina, G.O., Sokolovska-Sergiienko, O.G., Gulyaev, B.I. & Sytnik, S.K. (2011). Peciliarities of photosynthesis and production process in high-intensity winter wheat genotypes. Kyiv: Osnova [in Ukrainian].
2. Morgun, V.V. & Kiriziy, D.A. (2012). Prospects and modern strategies of wheat physiological traits improvement for increasing productivity. Fiziologia i biokhimiya kult. rastenij, 44, No. 6, pp. 463-483 [in Ukrainian].
3. Morgun, V.V. (Ed.). (2007). The Use of Physiology in Wheat Breeding. Kyiv: Logos [in Russian].
4. Pryadkina, G.A., Shadchina, T.M., Stasik, O.O. & Kiriziy, D.A. (2015). Photosynthesis. Vol. 3. Kyiv: Logos [in Russian].
5. Mokronosov, A.T. & Kovalev, A.G. (Eds.). (1989). Photosynthesis and Bioproductivity: Methods of Determination. Moskow: Agropromizdat [in Russian].
6. Acreche, M.M. & Slafer, G.A. (2009). Grain weight, radiation interception and use efficiency as affected by sink-strength in Mediterranean wheats released from 1940 to 2005. Field Crops Res., 110, No. 2, pp. 98-105. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fcr.2008.07.006
7. Eichelman, H., Talts, E., Oja, V. Padu, E. & Laisk, A. (2009). Rubisco in planta kcat is regulated in balance with photosynthetic electron transport. J. Exp. Bot., 60, No. 14, pp. 4077-4088. https://doi.org/10.1093/jxb/erp242
8. Fischer, R.A. (2007). Understanding the physiological basis of yield potential in wheat. J. Agr. Sci., 145, No. 2, pp. 99-113. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859607006843
9. Foulkes, M.J., Slafer, G.A., Davies, W.J. Berry, P.M., Sylvester-Bradley, R., Martre, P., Calderini, D.F., Griffiths, S. & Reynolds, M.P. (2011). Raising yield potential of wheat. III. Optimizing partitioning to grain while maintaining lodging resistance. J. Exp. Bot., 62, No. 2, pp. 469-486. https://doi.org/10.1093/jxb/erq300
10. Laemmli, U.K. (1970). Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature, 227, No. 5259, pp. 680-685. https://doi.org/10.1038/227680a0
11. Parry, M.A.J., Reynolds, M., Salvucci, M.E., Raines, C., Andralojc, P.J., Zhu, X.-G., Price, G.D., Condon, A.G. & Furbank, R.T. (2011). Raising yield potential in wheat. II. Increasing photosynthetic capacity and efficiency. J. Exp. Bot., 62, No. 4, pp. 453-467. https://doi.org/10.1093/jxb/erq304
12. Reynolds, M.P., Pellegrineschi, A. & Skovmand, B. (2005). Sink-limitation to yield and biomass: a summary of some investigations in spring wheat. Ann. Appl. Biol., 146, No. 1, pp. 39-49. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-7348.2005.03100.x
13. Slafer, G.A., Savin, R. & Sadras, V.O. (2014). Coarse and fine regulation of wheat yield components in response to genotype and environment. Field Crops Res., 157, pp. 71-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fcr.2013.12.004
14. Thomas, H. & Ougham, H. (2014). The stay-green trait. J. Exp. Bot., 65, No. 14, pp. 3889-3900. https://doi.org/10.1093/jxb/eru037
15. Wellburn, A.R. (1994). The spectral determination of chlorophylls a and b, as well as total carotenoids, using various solvents with spectrophotometers of different resolution. J. Plant Physiol., 144, No. 3, pp. 307-313. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0176-1617(11)81192-2