The soil contamination effect on the territories of the warehouses with pesticides unsuitable and forbidden for use on the frequency of chromosome mutations in root meristem cells of winter wheat was studied. The increase of aberrant cells frequency by 2.0—4.4 times was recorded. Among the kinds of aberrations, induced by pesticide contamination, acentric fragments and dicentric bridges of chromatide type occur most frequently. It has been established that the remains of pesticides in the soils can cause aneugenic effect on root meristem cells. Increase of slow chromosome and micronuclei level in the spectrum of the types of cytogenetic disorders compared with spontaneous ones can be used as a bio-indicator of the environmental contamination with mutagens of chemical nature, including gene toxic pesticides.
Keywords: Triticum aestivum L., pesticide contamination, chromosome aberrations, cytogenetic disorders, mutagenic activity
Full text and supplemented materialsFree full text: PDF
1. Bekker, A.A. & Agaev, T.B.(1989). Protection and control of environmental pollution. Leningrad: Gidrometeoizdat [in Russian].
2. Bittueva, M.M., Abilev, S.K. & Tarasov, V.A. (2007). The effectiveness of the prediction of the carcinogenic activity of chemical compounds when considering somatic mutations in soybean Glycine max (L.) Merrill. Genetika, 4 (1), pp. 78-87 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1022795407010103
3. Bondar, L.S., Matsyah, A.V. & Belyaev, V.V. (2001). Monitoring of genotoxicological contamination of some environmental factors. Genetika i selektsiya v Ukrayini na mezhi tysyacholit. Kyiv: Logos [in Ukrainian].
4. Vashkulat, M.P. (1999). Hygienic bases of environmental protection and public health under conditions of joint use of pesticides and organo-mineral fertilizers in agriculture. Unpublished or Candidate thesis, Kyiv [in Ukrainian].
5. Garipova, R.F. (2007). Non-stochastic inherited cell lethality in the practice of biotesting of technogenic pollution as inductors of aftereffects. Genetika, 43 (3), pp. 337-342 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1022795407030064
6. Dehtyarenko, O.M., Pilipenko, L.A. & Isaenko, V.M. (2007). Determination of the influence of organochlorine pesticides on soil ecosystems. Agroekologichniy zhurnal, No. 2., pp. 57-61 [in Ukrainian].
7. Dospekhov, B.A. (1985). Field Experience Method (with the basics of statistical processing of research results). Moscow: Agropromizdat [in Russian].
8. Evseeva, T.I., Maystrenko, T.A. & Geraskin, S.A. (2008). Assessment of the radiation impact on coenopopulations of mouse peas from a territory contaminated with radium production waste. Radiation biology. Radioecology, 48 (4), pp. 493-501 [in Russian].
9. Ibragimova, E.E. (2014). Investigation of the combined effect of pesticide residues and heavy metals on the frequency of mutation of Allium cepa L. root meristem cells. Uch. zap. Tavrich. nats. un-ta im. V.I. Vernadskogo. Biologiya, himiya, 26 (3), pp. 31-42 [in Russian].
10. Klimenko, M.O., Prischepa, A.M. & Voznyuk, N.M. (2006). Environmental monitoring. Kyiv: Vidavnichiy tsentr "Akademiya" [in Ukrainian].
11. Kovaleva, V.I. & Bagatskaya, N.V. (2013). Cytogenetic effects in peripheral blood lymphocytes of children involved in the elimination of the consequences of the Chernobyl accident under the influence of mitomycin C in vitro and folic acid in vivo. Cytology and genetics, 47 (1), pp. 6-73 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.3103/S0095452713010039
12. Kovaleva, O.A. (2008). Cytogenetic abnormalities in mammalian somatic cells. Cytology and genetics, 42 (1), pp. 58-72 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11956-008-1008-2
13. Kogutnitskiy, V.V. (2005). Hygienic estimation of the ecological environment of rural areas of Donetsk region and its influence on cancer incidence of the population: Unpublished or Candidate thesis, Donetsk [in Ukrainian].
14. Kutsokon, N.K., Bezrukov, V.F. & Lazarenko, L.M. (2003). Number of aberrations on aberrant cell as a parameter of chromosomal instability. 1. Characteristics of dose dependencies. Cytology and genetics, 37 (4), pp. 20-25 [in Ukrainian].
15. Kutsokon, N.K., Lazarenko, L.M. & Bezrukov, V.F. (2004). Number of aberrations per cell as a parameter of chromosomal instability. 2. Comparative analysis of the influence of factors of different nature. Cytology and genetics, 38 (1), pp. 55-62 [in Ukrainian].
16. Maystrenko, V.N. (2001, November). Superecotoxicants: a myth or a reality. Himicheskaya ekologiya: shkola-seminar: Tez. dokl., Ufa, pp. 118-127 [in Russian].
17. Mamedova, A.O. (2009). Bioindication of environmental quality based on plant mutation and modification variability. Cytology and genetics, 43 (2), pp. 61-64 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.3103/S009545270902008X
18. Melnikova, B.I., Nabivach, V.M., Smotraev, R.V. & Kozhura, O.V. (2008). Ecological aspects of dioxin contamination of the biosphere: methods for identifying and reducing emissions. Ekologiya ta noosferologiya, 19 (3-4), pp. 88-103 [in Russian].
19. Melnikova, T.V., Polyakova, L.P. & Kozmin, G.V. (2003). Chemical and toxicological characteristics of the products of the transformation of organochlorine pesticides, which are formed when exposed to intense g-radiation fluxes. Radiation biology. Radioecology, 43
(6), pp. 97-705 [in Russian]. 20. Morgun, V.V. & Logvinenko, V.F. (1995). Mutational selection of wheat. Kyiv: Nauk. dumka [in Russian].
21. Morgun, V.V. & Yakimchuk, R.A. (2010). Genetic consequences of the Chernobyl accident. Kyiv: Logos [in Ukrainian].
22. National report on the state of the environment in Ukraine in 2010. Kyiv: Tsentr ekologichnoyi osvity ta Informatsiyi [in Ukrainian].
23. Patyka, V.P., Makarenko, N.A. & Moklyachuk, L.I. (2005). Agroecological assessment of mineral fertilizers and pesticides. Kyiv: Osnova [in Ukrainian].
24. Pausheva, Z.P. (1988). Workshop on plant cytology. 4-e izd., pererab. i dop. Moscow: Agropromizdat [in Russian].
25. Petruk, R.V., Petruk, V.G. & Berezyuk, A.P. (2013). Environmental safety of warehouses and repositories of pesticides and restoration of land around them. Visnyk KrNU Imeni Mihayla Ostrogradskogo, 80 (3), pp. 197-202 [in Ukrainian].
26. The program of environmental protection, rational use of natural resources and ensuring environmental policy taking into account the regional priorities of the Poltava region for the period until 2010 in a new version. Poltava: Poltavskiy literator [in Ukrainian].
27. Regional program of environmental protection, rational use of natural resources and ensuring environmental safety taking into account the regional priorities of the Poltava region for 2012-2015 (Program "Environment-2015"). Poltava [in Ukrainian].
28. Serdyuk, S.M. (2007). Diagnostics of contamination by heavy metals of the soil cover of industrial-urbanized territories. Ekologiya ta noosferologiya, 18 (3-4), pp. 133-138 [in Ukrainian].
29. Timoshevskiy, V.A. & Nazarenko, S.A. (2005). Interphase cytogenetics in the assessment of genomic mutations in somatic cells. Genetika, 41 (1), pp. 5-16 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11177-005-0001-4
30. Tirkel, M.G., Pitalenko, E.I. & Filatov, V.F. (2007). Impact of industrial agglomerations on the environment. Problemy ekologiyi, No. 1-2., pp. 7-15 [in Russian].
31. Chebotarev, A.N. (2000). Mathematical model for describing the emergence of multiaberrant cells during spontaneous mutagenesis. Doklad RAN., 371(6), pp. 847-849 [in Russian].
32. Chervyakova, T.B., Vasyukov, O.E. & Zvezday, V.I. (2003, April). Pollution of the environment of the Kharkiv region with persistent organochlorine pesticides and their risk assessment for reproductive health of the population. Aktualni pitannya gigieny ta ekologichnoyi bezpeky Ukrayiny (do 120-richchya z dnya narodzhennya akademika O.M. Marzeeva): Naukovo praktychna konferentsiya, Iss. 5, Kyiv [in Ukrainian].
33. Shvid, S.F., Shvid, L.M., Natalochka, V.O. & Tkachenko, S.K. (2010). Dynamics of residual concentrations of pesticides in soils of the Poltava region. Visnyk Poltavskiy derzhavniy agrarniy akademiyi, No. 3., pp. 26-31 [in Ukrainian].
34. Shkarupa, V.M., Neumerzhitska, L.V., Klimenko, S.V. & Simiglazova, T.V. (2011). Dynamics of changes in spectrum of aberrations of chromosomes induced by mitomycin C in Allium cepa L. Visnyk Ukrayinskogo tovarystva genetykiv i selektsioneriv, 9 (1), pp. 112-117 [in Ukrainian].
35. Shmakova, N.L., Nasonova, E.A. & Krasavin, E.A. (2006). Induction of chromosomal aberrations and micro nuclei in human peripheral blood lymphocytes at the action of small doses of irradiation. Radiation biology. Radioecology, 46 (4), pp. 480-487 [in Russian].
36. Bentley, K.S., Kirkland, D., Murphy, M. & Marshall, R. (2000). Evaluation of thresholds for benomyl and carbendazim-induced aneuploidy in cultured human lymphocytes using fluorescence in situ hybridization. Mutation Research, 464, pp. 41-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1383-5718(99)00165-5
37. Bochkov, N.P. & Katosova, L.D. (1994). Analysis of multiaberrant sells in lymphocytes of persons living in different ecological regions. Mutation Research, 323, pp. 7-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-7992(94)90038-8
38. Duesberg, P., Li, R., Rasnick, D., Rausch, C., Willer, A., Kraemer, A., Yerganian, G. & Hehlman, R. (2000). Aneuploidy preceds and segregates with chemical carcinogenesis. Cancer Genet. Cytogenet., 119, pp. 83-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-4608(99)00236-8
39. Lloyg, D.C., Edvards, A.A., Leonard, A., Deknudt, G.L., Verschaeve, L., Nataraian, A.T., Darroudi, F., Obe, G., Palitti, F. & Tanzarella, C. (1988). Frequencies of chromosomal aberrations induced in human blood lymphocytes by low doses of X-rays. International Journal of Radiation Biology, 53, pp. 49-55. https://doi.org/10.1080/09553008814550411
40. Morgan, W.F., Corcoran, J., Hartmann, A., Kaplan, M.L., Limoli, C.L. & Ponnaiya, B. (1998). DNA doublestrand breaks, chromosomal rearrangements, and genomic instability. Mutation Research, 404, pp. 125-128. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0027-5107(98)00104-3
41. Takatsuji, T., Takayanagi, H., Morishita, K., Noiima, K., Furusawa, Y., Nakazawa, Y., Matsuse, M., Akamatsu, S., Hirano, N., Hirashima, N., Hotokezaka, S., Liichi, T., Kakimoto, C., Kanemaru, T., Koshitake, M., Moriuchi, A., Yamamoto, K. & Yoshikawa, I. (2010). Induction of micronuclei in germinating onion seed root tip cells irradiated with high energy heavy ions. J. Rad. Res., 51, No. 3., pp. 315-323. https://doi.org/10.1269/jrr.09028
42. Tsonchev, N. & Hristov, K. (2007). Cytogenetic study of toxicity and mutation variability induced by chemical mutagens in seeds of Lolium perenne L., Agropyrum cristatum L. and Medicago sativa L. Fiziologia i biohimia kult. rastenij, 39, No. 1, pp. 28-41.