The free proline and sucrose contents as well as monosugars/sucrose ratio were estimated in corn calli cultures. Calli were initiated from T1 corn plants, obtained via in planta Agrobacterium-mediated transformation with LBA4404 strain harboring pBi2E with double-stranded RNA-suppressor of the proline dehydrogenase gene (L-390-T1) and from inbred line L-390 plants (control). Calli cultures were examined under osmotic stresses (2 % sea water salts, 0,5 M mannitol) during 10 days. Under normal conditions free proline contents in cells of both variants were low but the sucrose level in L-390-T1 cells was 7,5 over than control data. After 10 days of stress pressure the differences among variants were marked. In control variants, cultivated under mannitol influence, the free proline level remained constant but the sucrose content increased in many times. Under salinity monosugars/sucrose ratio increased slightly while proline accumulation grew in 2,8 times over normal data. Normal cells developed various types of stress-dependent protection reactions. In L-390-T1 cells under any stress pressure the free proline level raised slightly, the carbohydrate ratio was identical. The transformed cell culture maintained normal function.
Keywords: Zea mays L., corn, calli culture, genetic transformation, dsRNA-suppressor of the proline dehydrogenase gene, salinity, water deficit, proline, sucrose, tolerance
Full text and supplemented materialsFree full text: PDF
1. Andryuschenko, V.K., Sayanova, V.V., Zhuchenko, A.A., Dyachenko, N.I., Chilikina, L.A., Drozdov, V.V. & Nyutin, Yu.I. (1981). Modification of proline determination method for identification of drought-resistant forms of genus Lycopersicon Tourn. Izv. AN Mold. SSR, No. 4, pp. 55-60 [in Russian].
2. Sakalo, V.D., Larchenko, K.A. & Kurchiy, V.M. (2009). Synthesis and metabolism of sucrose in leaves of corn sprouts under water deficit conditions. Fiziologia i biokhimia kult. rastenij, 41, No. 4. pp. 305-313 [in Ukrainian].
3. Azarpanah, A., Alizadeh, O. & Dehghanzadeh, H. (2013). Investigation of proline and carbohydrates accumulation in Zea mays L. under water stress condition. ELBA Bioflux., 5, No. 1. pp. 47-54.
4. Boscaiu, M., Esperanza, M., Fola, O. & Scridon, S. (2009). Osmolyte accumulation in xerophytes as a response to environmental stress. Bul. Univ. Agr. Sci and Vet Med. Cluj-Napoca Hort., pp. 96-102.
5. Green, C.E. & Phillips, R.L. (1975). Plant regeneration from tissue cultures of maize. Crop. Sci., 15, pp. 417-421. https://doi.org/10.2135/cropsci1975.0011183X001500030040x
6. Hanson, J., Hanssen M., Wiese, A., Hendriks, M.M. & Smeekens, S. (2008).The sucrose regulated transcription factor bZIP11 affects amino acid metabolism by regulating the expression of asparagine synthetase 1 and proline dehydrogenase 2. Plant J., 53, pp. 935-949. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-313X.2007.03385.x
7. Hasegawa, P.M., Bressan, P.A., Zhu, J.-K. & Bohnert, H.J. (2000). Plant cellular and molecular responses to high salinity. Annu. Rev. Plant Physiol., 51, pp. 463-499. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.arplant.51.1.463
8. Kiyosue, T., Yoshiba, Y., Yamaguchi-Shinozaki, K. & Shinozaki, K. (1996). A nuclear gene encoding mitochondrial proline dehydrogenase an enzyme involved in proline metabolism, up regulated by proline but down regulated by dehydration in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell, 8, pp. 1323-1335. https://doi.org/10.1105/tpc.8.8.1323
9. Rosa, M., Prado, C., Podazza, G., Interdonato, R., Gonzalez, J.A., Hilal, M. & Prado, F.E. (2009). Soluble sugars - metabolism, sensing and abiotic stresses. A complex network in the life plants. Plant Signal. Behav., 4, No. 5, pp. 388-393. https://doi.org/10.4161/psb.4.5.8294
10. Satoh, R., Fujita, Y., Nakashima, K., Shinozaki, K. & Yamaguchi-Shinozaki, K. (2004). A novel subgroup of bZIP11 proteins functions as transcriptional activators in hypoosmolarity-responsive expression of the ProDH gene in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell Physiol., 45, pp. 309-317. https://doi.org/10.1093/pcp/pch036
11. Szabados, L. & Savoure, A. (2010). Proline: a multifunctional amino acid. Trends Plant Sci., 15, pp. 89-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tplants.2009.11.009
12. Wang, L., Zhang, L., Chen, G. & Li, X. (2005). Физиoлoгичeckиe peakции kaллюca бaтaтa нa зacyxy и coлeвoй cтpecc. Shengtaixue zazhi - Ch. J. Ecol. Bot., 25, pp. 1508-1514.