Physiological and biochemical parameters of alfalfa plants (Medicago sativa L.) that were inoculated with mono- and binary compositions of nitrogen-fixing microorganisms were studied in the pot experiment. It is shown that the use of microbial consortium Sinorhizobium meliloti T17 together with Nostoc PTV was more efficient than use of the single rhizobium strain inoculation. This treatment provided an intensification of the processes of nitrogen fixation, photosynthesis and stimulated growth of aboveground plant mass and rhizogenesis, that increased productivity of alfalfa, promoted enlargement of protein content in leaves and improvement of its quality.
Keywords: Medicago sativa L., Sinorhizobium meliloti, Nostoc PTV, alfalfa, nitrogen fixation, photosynthesis, productivity
Full text and supplemented materialsFree full text: PDF
1. Vorobey, N.A. & Kots, S.Ya. (2009). Nitrogen fixing activity and growth of alfa alfa vegetative organs under the combined inoculation with active and inactive Sinorhizobium meliloti strains. Fiziologia i biokhimia kult. rastenij, 41, No. 2, pp.162-167 [in Ukrainian].
2. Vorobey, N.A., Patsko, O.V., Kots, S.Ya. & Parshikova, T.V. (2009). Physiological features of alfalfa development by inoculation with mixed cultures of nitrogen fixing microorganisms. Fiziologia i biokhimia kult. rastenij, 41, No. 4, pp. 344-352 [in Ukrainian].
3. Gold, V.M., Gaevsky, N.A., Grigoriev, Yu.S., Gehman A.V. & Popelnitsky, V.A. (1984). Theoretical foundations and methods for studying chlorophyll fluorescence. Krasnoyarsk: Pub. Krasnoyarsk State University [in Russian].
4. Grodzinsky, A.M. & Grodzinsky, D.M. (1973). Short reference book on plant physiology. Kyiv: Nauk. Dumka [in Russian].
5. Dospehov, B.A. (1985). Methods of field experiment (with the basics of statistical processing of the results). Moscow: Agropromizdat [in Russian].
6. Zavarzin, G.A. (2003). Lectures on Natural Resource Microbiology. Moscow: Nauka [in Russian].
7. Zyablyh, R.Yu. (2008). Consortia of microorganisms based on soil nitrogen-fixing cyanobacteria and their agro-biotechnological potential (Extended abstract of candidate thesis), Kyrov [in Russian].
8. Kiriziy, D.A., Vorobey, N.A. & Kots, S.Ya. (2007). The relationship of nitrogen fixation and photosynthesis as the main components of the production process in alfalfa. Russian Journal of Plant Physiology, 54, No. 5, pp. 666-671 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1021443707050032
9. Kozarenko, T.D. (1975). Ion Exchange Chromatography of Amino Acids. Novosibirsk: Nauka [in Russian].
10. Lobakova, E.S., Dolnikova, G.A. & Korzhenevskaya, T.G. (2001). Cyanobacterial-bacterial complexes in plant syncyanoses. Microbiology, 70, No. 1, pp. 128-134 [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1004861325143
11. Miller, J. (1976). Experiments in Molecular Genetics. Moscow: Myr [in Russian].
12. Musienko, M.M., Parshikova, T.V. & Slavny, P.S (2002). Spectrophotometric methods in the practice of physiology, biochemistry and ecology of plants. Kyiv: Phytosociocenter [in Ukrainian].
13. Novikova, T.I., Sharypova, L.A. & Simarov, B.V. (1986). Transposon mutagenesis in strain CXM1-105 Rhizobium meliloti. Molecular Genetics, Microbiology and Virology, No. 8, pp. 32-35.
14. Patsko, O.V., Vorobey, N.A., Kots, S.Ya. & Parshikova, T.V. (2010). The research of effectiveness of agrocooperation of nitrogen fixing microorganisms. Fiziologia i biokhimia kult. rastenij, 42, No. 2, pp. 322-331 [in Ukrainian].
15. Sirenko, L.A., Rybak, N.V., Parshikova, T.V. & Pakhomova, M.N. (2005). Collection of live cultures of microscopic algae. Kyiv: Phytosociocenter [in Russian].
16. Mokronosova, A.T. & Kovalev, A.G. (Eds.) (1989). Photosynthesis and bioproductivity: methods for determining. Moscow: Agropromizdat [in Russian].
17. Pat. 55432 UA, IPC C05F 11/00 C12N 1/20. Bacteria strain Sinorhizobium meliloti t17 (imb b-7282) for the preparation of bacterial fertilizer under lucerne, Kots, S.Ya., Vorobei, N.A., Malychenko, S.M., Butnytskyi, I.M., Publ. 10.12.2010 [in Ukrainian].
18. Allen, O.N. (1959). Experiments in Soil Bacteriology. Minneapolis: Burges Publ. Co.
19. Hardy, R.W.F., Holsten, R.D., Jackson, E.K. & Burns, R.C. (1968). The acetylene-ethylene assay for N2 fixation: laboratory and field evaluation. Plant Physiol., 42, No. 8, pp. 1185-1207. https://doi.org/10.1104/pp.43.8.1185
20. Lawlor, D.W. (2002). Carbon and nitrogen assimilation in relation to yield: mechanisms are the key to understanding production systems. J. Exp. Bot., 53, No. 370, pp. 773-787. https://doi.org/10.1093/jxb/53.370.773
21. Lowry, O.H., Rosenbrought, N.Z., Farr, A.L. & Randall, R.Z. (1951). Protein measurement with Folin phenol reagent. J. Biol. Chem., No. 153, p. 265.
22. Rai, A.N., Soderback, E. & Bergman, B. (2000). Cyanobacterium-plant symbioses. New Phytol., No. 147, pp. 449-481. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1469-8137.2000.00720.x
23. Wellburn, A.R. (1994). The spectral determination of chlorophylls a and b, as well as total carotenoids, using various solvents with spectrophotometers of different resolutions. J. Plant Physiol., 144, No. 3, pp. 307-313. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0176-1617(11)81192-2