During the pot experiment in soil-sandy culture, the effect of foliar treatment with 0.005 % aqueous solutions of 1-naphthylacetic acid (1-NАА), gibberellic acid (GA3) and 6-benzylaminopurine (6-BAP) on growth and physiological and biochemical characteristics of sweet pepper cv. Antey were investigated. It was found that exogenous growth stimulators at the budding stage led to an increase in the plants linear size, leaves number, the leaves, stems and roots fresh weight, as well as the whole plant dry weight. After treatment with growth regulators, the area of leaf blades increased throughout the growing season, and at the stage of fruit formation — the total leaf area of the whole plant. Exogenous 6-BAP significantly increased the amount of chlorophyll in the leaves, while under the action of GA3 this index decreased. Growth stimulants thickened the leaf blades due to the proliferation of chlorenchyma cells, namely the increase in the volume of columnar parenchyma cells. 1-NАА and 6-BAP also increased the size of the spongy parenchyma cells. All growth regulators reduced the content of IАА and ABA in the stems. 1-NАА and GA3 increased the content of endogenous GA3 in the stems, and 6-BAP decreased it. The growth regulators increased the content of endogenous IАА in the leaves, the maximum increase occurred during treatment with synthetic auxin. 1-NАА and 6-BAP decreased the content of endogenous GA3, and under the action of exogenous GA3 there was an increase in this phytohormone. All growth substances reduced the ABA content in the leaves. The most significant decrease was observed under the action of exogenous GA3. Growth substances have been shown to reduce the amount of cytokinins in stems and increase in leaves. 1-NАА minimized the cytokinins content in the stems and maximized in leaves. Treatment with a solution of GA3 had no significant effect on the cytokinins accumulation. All growth regulators increased the yield of sweet pepper culture by increasing the number of fruits per plant and the average weight of one fruit. The most effective was the use of a synthetic analogue of cytokinins — 6-BAP.
Keywords: Capsicum annuum L., sweet pepper, synthetic growth regulators, morphogenesis, mesostructure, chlorophyll, phytohormones, yield
Full text and supplemented materials
1. Davies, P.J. (2010). The plant hormones: their nature, occurrence, and function. Plant Hormones: Biosynthesis, Signal Transduction, Action. Davies P.J. (Ed.). Dordrecht: Springer, pp. 1-15. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4020-2686-7_1
2. Rogach, V.V., Voytenko, L.V., Shcherbatiuk, M.M., Rogach, T.I. & Kosakivska, I.V. (2020). Effect of foliar treatment with synthetic growth regulators on morphogenesis, content of pigments and phytohormones, and productivity of Solanum melongena L. Visn. Hark. nac. agrar. univ., Ser. Biol., 2, No. 50, pp. 105-118. [in Ukrainian]. https://doi.org/10.35550/vbio2020.02.105
3. Sponsel, V. & Hedden, P. (2010). Gibberellin Biosynthesis and Inactivation. Plant Hormones. Davies P.J. (Ed.). Springer, Dordrecht, pp. 63-94. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4020-2686-7_4
4. Qiu, L.H., Chen, R.F., Luo, H.M., Fan, Y.G., Huang, X., Liu, J. X., Xiong, F. Q., Zhou, H.W., Gan, C.K., Wu, J.M. & Li, Y.R. (2019). Effects of Exogenous GA3 and DPC Treatments on Levels of Endogenous Hormone and Expression of Key Gibberellin Biosynthesis Pathway Genes During Stem Elongation in Sugarcane. Sugar Tech., 21, pp. 936-948. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12355-019-00728-7
5. Muhammad, I. & Muhammad, A. (2013). Gibberellic acid mediated induction of salt tolerance in wheat plants: Growth, ionic partitioning, photosynthesis, yield and hormonal homeostasis. Environ. Exper. Bot., 86, pp. 76-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envexpbot.2010.06.002
6. Sugiura, D., Sawakami, K., Kojim, M., Sakakibara, H., Terashima, I. & Tateno, M. (2015). Roles of gibberellins and cytokinins in regulation of morphological and physiological traits in Polygonum cuspidatum responding to light and nitrogen availabilities. Func. Plant Biol., 42, No. 4, pp. 397-409. https://doi.org/10.1071/FP14212
7. Ullah, H., Bano, A., Khokhar, K.M. & Mahmood, T. (2011). Effect of seed soaking treatment with growth regulators on phytohormone level and sex modification in cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.). Afr. J. Plant Sci., 5, No. 10, pp. 599-608.
8. Wen, Y., Su, S.C., Ma, L.Y. & Wang, X.N. (2018). Effects of gibberellic acid on photosynthesis and endogenous hormones of Camellia oleifera Abel. in 1st and 6th leaves. J. Forest Res., 23, No. 5, pp. 309-317. https://doi.org/10.1080/13416979.2018.1512394
9. Kang, S.-M., Radhakrishnan, R., Khan, A.L., Kim, M.-J., Park, J.-M., Kim, B.-R., Shin, D.-H. & Lee, I.-J. (2014). Gibberellin secreting rhizobacterium, Pseudomonas putida H-2-3 modulates the hormonal and stress physiology of soybean to improve the plant growth under saline and drought conditions. Plant Physiol. Biochem., 84, pp. 115-124. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plaphy.2014.09.001
10. Vedenicheva, N.P. & Kosakivska, I.V. (2017). Cytokinins as regulators of plant ontogenesis under different growth conditions. Kyiv: Nash Format [in Ukrainian].
11. Luo, Y., Yang, D., Yin, Y., Cui, Z., Li, Y., Chen, J., Zheng, M., Wang, Y., Pang, D., Li, Y. & Wang, Z. (2016). Effects of Exogenous 6-BA and Nitrogen Fertilizers with Varied Rates on Function and Fluorescence Characteristics of Wheat Leaves Post Anthesis. Scientia Agricultura Sinica, 49, No. 6, pp. 1060-1083. https://doi.org/10.3864/ j.issn.0578-1752.2016.06.004
12. Li, Y., Zhang, D., Xing, L., Zhang, S., Zhao, C. & Han, M. (2016). Effect of exogenous 6-benzylaminopurine (6-BA) on branch type, floral induction and initiation, and related gene expression in Fuji apple (Malus domestica). Plant Growth Regul., 79, No. 1, pp. 65-70. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10725-015-0111-5
13. Schroder, M., Link, H. & Bangerth, K.F. (2013). Correlative polar auxin transport to explain the thinning mode of action of benzyladenine on apple. Scientia Horticulturae, 153, No. 4, pp. 84-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scienta.2013.02.001
14. Brumos, J., Robles, L.M., Yun, J., Vu, T.C., Jackson, S., Alonso, J.M. & Stepanova, A.N. (2018). Local Auxin Biosynthesis Is a Key Regulator of Plant Development. Dev. Cell., 47, No. 3, pp. 306-318. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.devcel.2018.09.022
15. Hanaa, H. & Safaa, A. (2019). Foliar application of IAA at different growth stages and their influenced on growth and productivity of bread wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). J. Phys. Conf. Ser., 1294, pp. 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/1294/9/092029
16. Xing, X., Jiang, H., Zhou, Q., Xing, H., Jiang, H. & Wang, S. (2016). Improved drought tolerance by early IAA- and ABA-dependent H2O2 accumulation induced by a-naphthaleneacetic acid in soybean plants. Plant Growth Regul., 80, No. 3, pp. 303-314. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10725-016-0167-x
17. Hikosaka, S. & Sugiyama, N. (2015). Effects of Exogenous Plant Growth Regulators on Yield, Fruit Growth, and Concentration of Endogenous Hormones in Gynoecious Parthenocarpic Cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.). The Horticulture Journal, 84, No. 4, pp. 342-349. https://doi.org/10.2503/hortj.MI-051
18. Li, J., Guan, Y., Yuan, L., Hou, J., Wang, C., Liu, F., Yanga, Y., Lu, Z., Chen, G. & Zhu, S. (2019). Effects of exogenous IAA in regulating photosynthetic capacity, carbohydrate metabolism and yield of Zizania latifolia. Scientia Horticulturae, 253, No. 27, pp. 276-285. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scienta.2019.04.058
19. Aremu, A.O., Plackova, L., Masondo, N.A., Amoo, S.O., Moyo, M., Novak, O., Dolezal, K. & Staden, J.V. (2017). Regulating the regulators: responses of four plant growth regulators during clonal propagation of Lachenalia montana. Plant Growth Regul., 82, No. 2, pp. 305-315. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10725-017-0260-9
20. Khalloufi, M., Martinez-Andujar, C., Lachaal, M., Karray-Bouraoui, N., Perez-Alfocea, F. & Albacete, A. (2017). The interaction between foliar GA3 application and arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi inoculation improves growth in salinized tomato (Solanum lycopersicum L.) plants by modifying the hormonal balance. J. Plant. Physiol., 214, pp. 134-144. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jplph.2017.04.012
21. Honda, I., Matsunaga, H., Kikuchi, K., Matuo, S., Fukuda, M. & Imanishi, S. (2017). Involvement of Cytokinins, 3-Indoleacetic Acid, and Gibberellins in Early Fruit Growth in Pepper (Capsicum annuum L.). The Horticulture Journal, 86, No. 1, pp. 52-60. https://doi.org/10.2503/hortj.MI-120
22. Rogach, V.V., Voytenko, L.V., Shcherbatiuk, M.M., Kosakivska, I.V. & Rogach, T.I. (2020). Morphogenesis, pigment content, phytohormones and productivity of eggplants under the action of gibberellin and tebuconazole. Regul. Mech. Biosyst., 11, No. 1, pp. 129-135. https://doi.org/10.15421/022017
23. Latimer, G.W. (Ed.). (2012). Official Methods of Analysis of AOAC International. 19th edition. Gaithersburg: AOAC International.
24. Kosakivska, I.V., Vasyuk, V.A., Voytenko, L.V., Shcherbatiuk, M.M., Romanenko, K.O. & Babenko, L.M. (2020). Endogenous phytohormones of fern Polystichum aculeatum (L.) Roth gametophytes at different stages of morphogenesis in vitro culture. Cytol. & Genet., 54, No. 1, pp. 23-30. https://doi.org/10.3103/S0095452720010089
25. Van Emden, H.F. (2008). Statistics for terrified biologists. Blackwell, Oxford. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11099-011-0058-3
26. Poprotska, I., Kuryata, V., Khodanitska, O., Polyvanyi, S. & Golunova, L. (2019). Effect of gibberellin and retardants on the germination of seeds with different types of reserve substances under the conditions of skoto- and photomorphogenesis. Biologija, 65, No. 4, pp. 296-307. https://doi.org/10.6001/biologija.v65i4.4123
27. Rogach, T.I. (2009). Particularity of morphogenesis and productivity of sunflower plants under the influence of treptolem. In: Plant physiology: problems and prospects of development: in 2 Vols; V.V. Morgun (Ed.). Vol. 1. Kyiv: Logos, pp. 680-686 [in Ukrainian].
28. Kuryata, V.G. & Polyvanyi, S.V. (2018). Formation and functioning of source-sink relation system of oil poppy plants under treptolem treatment towards crop productivity. Ukrainian Journal of Ecology, 8, No. 1, pp. 11-20. [in Ukrainian]. https://doi.org/10.15421/2018_182
29. Khodanitska, O.O., Kuryata, V.G., Shevchuk, O.A., Tkachuk, O.O. & Poprotska, I.V. (2019). Effect of treptolem on morphogenesis and productivity of linseed plants. Ukrainian Journal of Ecology, 9, No. 2, pp. 119-126.