In the field experiment, it was studied the influence of triazole retardant tebuconazole on the morphogenesis, leaf formation, leaf mesostructure, peculiarities of nutrients — nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium — accumulation and redistribution between the vegetative organs of the plant in relation with sweet pepper (Capsicum annuum L.) crop productivity. It was found that treatment of sweet pepper at the budding stage with 0,025 % tebuconazole reduced the linear growth by 21 %, thickened the stem by 27 %, increased leaves total number (by 20 %) and weight (by 50 %), increased leaf surface area (by 53 %). Relative proportion of leaf weight increased under the influence of tebuconazole. The retardant application resulted in mesostructure optimization, leaf specific weight increase, enhance the assimilative parenchyma development due to increase in the volume and linear cell size of columnar and spongy parenchyma, and increased the chlorophyll content. The consequence of this changes was an increased of net photosynthetic productivity. The plant total leaf area and the leaf area index increased under tebuconasole treatment that affected to enhance the plant gross photosynthesis and cenosis productivity in general. It is an important factor for increasing the sweet pepper yield. The obtained results suggest a significant storage capacity of other vegetative organs — stems and roots of sweet pepper plants, which accumulated a significant amount of nitrogen-containing compounds, phosphorus and potassium. The tebuconazole treatment enhanced the accumulation of those elements by plant. The yield of sweet pepper increased by 26 % under tebuconazole treatment due to formation of more powerful leaf apparatus, leaf mesostructure optimization, increase of chlorophyll content and nutrients accumulation.
Keywords: Capsicum annuum L., sweet pepper, tebuconazole, morphogenesis, leaf mesostructure, mineral nutrients, productivity
Full text and supplemented materialsFree full text: PDF
1. Kiriziy, D.A., Stasik, O.O., Pryadkina, G.A. & Shadchina, T.M. (2014). Photosynthesis (Vol. 2) Assimilation of CO2 and the mechanisms of its regulation. Kyiv: Logos [in Russian].
2. Kuryata, V.G., Rogach, V.V., Buina, O.I. & Kushnir, O.V. (2017). Impact of gibberelic acid and tebuconazole on formation of the leaf system and functioning of donor - acceptor plant system of solanaceae vegetable crops. Regulatory Mechanisms in Biosystems, 8(2), pp. 162-168. https://doi.org/10.15421/021726
3. Poprotska, I.V. & Kuryata, V.G. (2017). Features of gas exchange and use of reserve substances in pumpkin seedlings in conditions of skoto- and photomorphogenesis under the influence of gibberellin and chlormequat-chloride. Regulatory Mechanisms in Biosystems, 8(1), pp. 71-76. https://doi.org/10.15421/021713
4. Fagherassi, A.F., Grimaldi, F., Kretzschmar, A.A., Rufato, L., Lucchi, P., Maltoni, M.L., Faedi,W. & Baruzzi, G. (2017). Effects of GA3 on vegetative growth in strawberry. Acta Hortic, 1156, pp. 497-500. https://doi.org/10.17660/ActaHortic.2017.1156.73
5. Kuryata, V.G. & Polyvanyi, S.V. (2018). Formation and functioning of source-sink relation system of oil poppy plants under treptolem treatment towards crop productivity. Ukrainian Journal of Ecology, 8(1), pp. 11-20. https://doi.org/10.15421/2018_182
6. Yu, S.M., Lo, S.F. & Ho, T.D. (2015). Source-sink communication: regulated by hormone, nutrient, and stress cross-signaling. Trends in Plant Science, 20(12), pp. 844-857. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tplants.2015.10.009
7. Bonelli, L.E., Monzon, J.P., Cerrudo, A., Rizzalli, R.H. & Andrade, F.H. (2016). Maize grain yield components and source-sink relationship as affected by the delay in sowing date. Field Crops Research, 198, pp. 215-225. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fcr.2016.09.003
8. Poprotska, I., Kuryata, V., Khodanitska, O., Polyvanyi, S., Golunova, L. & Prysedsky, Y. (2019). Effect of gibberellin and retardants on the germination of seeds with different types of reserve substances under the conditions of skoto- and photomorphogenesis. Biologija, 65(4), pp. 296-307. https://doi.org/10.6001/biologija.v65i4.4123
9. Kuryata, V.G. & Poprotska, I.V. (2019). Physiological and biochemical basics of application of retardants in plant growing. Vinnitsa: Tvory [in Ukrainian].
10. Rademacher, W. (2016). Chemical regulators of gibberellin status and their application in plant production. Annual Plant Reviews, 49, pp. 359-403. https://doi.org/10.1002/9781119210436.ch12
11. Hedden, P. & Thomas, S.G. (2016). The gibberellins. John Wiley fnd Sons. doi: https://doi.org/10.1002/9781119210436
12. Macedo, W.R., Araujo, D.K., Santos, V.M., Camargo, G.M. & Castroand, P.R. (2017). Plant growth regulators on sweet sorghum: physiological and nutritional value analysis. Comunicata Scientiae, 8(1), pp. 170-175. https://doi.org/10.14295/cs.v8i1.1315
13. Kuryata, V.G. & Polyvanyi, S.V. (2018). Features of morphogenesis, donor-acceptor system formation and efficiency of crop production under chlormequat chloride treatment on poppy oil. Ukrainian Journal of Ecology, 8(4), pp. 165-174.
14. Rogach, V.V., Poprotska, I.V. & Kuryata, V.G. (2016). Effect of gibberellin and retardants on morphogenesis, photosynthetic apparatus and productivity of the potato. Visnik Dnipropetrovsk University. Seria Biology. Ekology, 24(2), pp. 416-419 [in Ukrainian]. https://doi.org/10.15421/011656
15. Rogach, V.V., Kravets, O.O., Buina, O.I. & Kuryata, V.G. (2018). Dynamic of accumulation and redistribution of various carbohydrate forms and nitrogen in organs of tomatoes under treatment with retardants. Regulatory Mechanisms in Biosistems, 9(2), pp. 293-299. https://doi.org/10.15421/021843
16. Zhang, W., Xu, F., Hua, C. & Cheng, S. (2013). Effect of chlorocholine chloride on chlorophyll, photosynthesis, soluble sugar and flavonoids of Ginkgo biloba. Notulae Botanicae Horti Agrobotanici Cluj-Napoca, 41(1), pp. 97-103. https://doi.org/10.15835/nbha4118294
17. Yan, Y., Wan, Y., Liu, W., Wang, X., Yong, T. & Yang, W. (2015). Influence of seed treatment with uniconazole powder on soybean growth, photosynthesis, dry matter accumulation after flowering and yield in relay strip intercropping system. Plant Production Science, 18(3), pp. 295-301. https://doi.org/10.1626/pps.18.295
18. Sousa Lima, G.M., Pereira, M.C.T., Oliveira, M.B., Nietsche, S., Mizobutsi, G.P. & Filho, W.M. (2016). Floral induction management in 'Palmer' mango using uniconazole. Ciencia Rural, 46(8), pp. 1350-1356. https://doi.org/10.1590/0103-8478cr20150940
19. Carvalho, M.E.A., Castro, C.P.R., Castro F.M.V. & Mendes A.C.C. (2016). Are plant growth retardants a strategy to decrease lodging and increase yield of sunflower. Comunicata Scientiae, 7 (1), pp. 154-164. https://doi.org/10.14295/cs.v7i1.1286
20. Koutroubas, S.D. & Damalas, C.A. (2016). Morpho-physiological responses of sunflower to foliar applications of chlormequatchloride (CCC). Bioscience Journal, 32(6), pp. 1493-1501. https://doi.org/10.14393/BJ-v32n6a2016-33007
21. Pavlista, A.D. (2013). Influence of foliar-applied growth retardants on russet burbank potato tuber production. Amer. Journal Potato, 90, pp. 395-401. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12230-013-9307-2
22. Kumar, S., Ghatty, S., Satyanarayana, J. & Guha, A. (2012). Paclobutrazol treatment as a potential strategy for higher seed and oil yield in field-grown Camelina sativa L. Crantz. BSK Research Notes, 5, pp. 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1186/1756-0500-5-137
23. Matysiak, K. & Kaczmarek, S. (2013). Effect of chlorocholine chloride and triazoles - tebuconazole and flusilazole on winter oilseed rape (Brassica napus var. oleifera L.) in response to the application term and sowing density. Journal of Plant Protection Research, 53(1), pp. 79-88. https://doi.org/10.2478/jppr-2013-0012
24. Peng, D., Chen, X., Yin, Y., Lu, K., Yang, W., Tang, Y. & Wang, Z. (2014). Lodging resistance of winter wheat (Triticum aestivum L.): Lignin accumulation and its related enzymes activities due to the application of paclobutrazol or gibberellin acid. Field Crops Research, 157, pp. 1-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fcr.2013.11.015
25. Yang, L., Yang, D., Yan, X., Cui, L., Wang, Z. & Yuan, H. (2016). The role of gibberellins in improving the resistance of tebuconazole-coated maize seeds to chilling stress by microencapsulation. Scientific Reports, 60, pp. 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1038/srep35447
26. Tae-Yun, K. & Jung-Hee, H. (2012). Effects of hexaconazole on growth and antioxidant potential of cucumber seedlings under UV-B radiation. Environmental Sciences, 21(12), pp. 1435-1447. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2012.21.12.1435
27. Kuryata, V.G., Poprotska, I.V. & Rogach, T.I. (2017). The impact of growth stimulators and retardants on the utilization of reserve lipids by sunflower seedlings. Regulatory Mechanisms in Biosystems, 8(3), pp. 317-322. https://doi.org/10.15421/021726
28 Panyapruek, S., Sinsiri, W., Sinsiri, N., Arimatsu, P. & Polthanee, A. (2016). Effect of paclobutrazol growth regulator on tuber production and starch quality of cassava (Manihot esculenta Crantz). Asian Journal of Plant Sciences, 15(1-2), pp. 1-7. https://doi.org/10.3923/ajps.2016.1.7
29. Pobudkiewicz, A. (2014). Influence of growth retardant on growth and development of Euphorbia pulcherrima Willd. ex Klotzsch. Acta Agrobotanica, 67(3), pp. 65-74. https://doi.org/10.5586/aa.2014.030
30. Yan, W., Yanhong, Y., Wenyu, Y., Taiwen, Y., Weiguo, L. & Wang, X. (2013). Responses of root growth and nitrogen transfer metabolism to uniconazole, a growth retardant, during the seedling stage of soybean under relay strip. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis Intercropping System, 44(22), pp. 3267-3280. https://doi.org/10.1080/00103624.2013.840838
31. Wang, Y., Gu, W., Xie, T., Li, L., Sun, Y., Zhang, H., Li, J. & Wei, S. (2016). Mixed Compound of DCPTA and CCC increases maize yield by improving plant morphology and up-regulating photosynthetic capacity and antioxidants. PLoS One, 1, p. 25. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0149404
32. Official Methods of Analysis of Association of Official Analytical Chemists (AOAC) International (2016). Rev. 3. Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA, p. 3172.