The effectiveness of perennial dicotyledonous weed Сanada thistle (Cirsium arvense) controlling by the mixtures of new auxin-like herbicide halauxifen-methyl with acetolactate synthase (ALS) inhibitors florasulam and pyroxsulam was investigated in field trials in wheat crops. The effect of mixtures of halauxifen-methyl with ALS inhibitors with the addition of ALS inhibitor tribenuron-methyl and synthetic auxin clopyralid was also studied. It has been shown that adding tribenuron-methyl and clopyralid to the mixtures of halauxifen-methyl with pyroxsulam and florasulam increases the effectiveness of Canada thistle control in wheat. For effective Canada thistle control, treatment of wheat plantings by the mixtures of halauxifen-methyl with pyroxsulam and florasulam with adding tribenuron-methyl or clopyralid should be carried out during the period from the phase of tillering to the phase of second internode formation in the crop, when the thistle plants reach the phase of the rosette or the beginning of stem elongation.
Keywords: Cirsium arvense (L.) Scop., Triticum aestivum L., Canada thistle, wheat, weed control, herbicide, herbicides mixtures, halauxifen-methyl
Full text and supplemented materialsFree full text: PDF
1. Anonymous (2013). ArylexTM Active — Technical Bulletin. http://www.arylex.com/en.
2. Anonymous (2016). Quelex® herbicide. http://www.dowagro.com/en-us/usag/product-solution-finder/herbicides/quelex.
3. Anonymous (2017). Rexade™ GoDRI™ herbicide with Arylex Active. http://www.dowagro.com/ennz/newzealand/productfinder/herbicides/rexade.
4. Issaks, M.A., Hatzios, K.K., Wilson, H.P. & Toler J. (2006). Halosulfuron and 2,4-D mixtures' effects on common lambsquarters (Chenopodium album). Weed Technol., 20, pp. 137-142. https://doi.org/10.1614/WT-04-317R.1
5. Kraehmer, H., van Almsick, A., Beffa, R., Dietrich, H., Eckes, P., Hacker, E., Hain, R., Strek, H.J., Stuebler, H. & Willms, L. (2014). Herbicides as weed control agents: state of the art: II. Recent achievements. Plant Physiol., 166, pp. 1132-1148. https://doi.org/10.1104/pp.114.241992
6. Morderer, Ye.Yu., Nizkov, Ye.I. & Lukjanchenko, O.S. (2008). The efficacy of creeping thistle (Cirsium arvense (L.) Scop.) control on wheat and barley by the mixtures of AHAS-inhibiting herbicides and clopyralid. Physiol. and Biochem. of Cultivated Plants, 40, No. 4, pp. 310-317.
7. Nizkov, Ye.I., Rodzevich, O.P., Omelchuk, S.T., Borisenko, A.A., Korshun, A.M. & Morderer, Ye.Yu. (2014). The efficacy of action and the traslocation of systemic auxinic herbicide clopyralid to the root system of Cirsium arvense upon application in the mixtures with herbicides acetolactate synthase inhibitors. Plant Physiol. and Genetics, 45, No. 4, pp. 337-342.
8. Norsworthy, J.K., Ward, S.M., Shaw, D.R., Llewellyn, R.S., Nichols, R.L., Webster, T.M., Bradley, K.W., Frisvold, G., Powles, S.T., Burgos, N.R., Witt, W.W. & Barret, M. (2012). Reducing the risk of herbicide resistance: best management practices and recommendation. Weed Sci., Special Issue, pp. 31-62. https://doi.org/10.1614/WS-D-11-00155.1
9. Vencil, W.K., Nichols, R.L., Webster, T.M., Soteres, J.K., Mallory-Smith, C., Burgos, N.R., Johnson, W.G. & McCleland, M.R. (2012). Herbicides resistance: toward an understanding of resistance development and the impact of herbicide-resistant crop. Weed Sci., Special Issue, pp. 2-30. https://doi.org/10.1614/WS-D-11-00206.1