The effect of synthetic analogues of allelochemicals (coumarin, phenolic acids, amino acids, carboxylic acids) and phytohormones (kinetin, 6-benzyladenin) on adaptation of cress (Lepidium sativum L.) and wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) to the allelopathic stress modeled by coumarin solution was studied. The seed pretreatment with the solutions of amino, carboxylic and phenolic acids in low concentrations stimulated seedling resistance to phytotoxic doses of coumarin. At higher concentrations (1000—3000 mM) phenolic substances enhanced coumarin inhibitory effect on seed germination and root growth of seedlings. Carboxylic and amino acids did not display any inhibition on the characteristics of the test-plants growth and development within the tested range of concentrations.
Keywords: Lepidium sativum L., Triticum aestivum L., allelopathic stress, adaptation, seed pretreatment, phenolic acids, coumarin, cytokinins, carboxylic acids, amino acids
Full text and suplimented materialsFree full text: PDF
1. Arkhipova, T.N. & Anokhina, N.L. (2009). Influence of Inoculation by Cytokinin-Producing Microorganisms on Wheat Plant Growth with Increase in Mineral Nutrition. Plant Physiology, 56, No. 6, pp.899-905 [in Russian].
2. Grodzinsky, A.M. (1973). Fundamentals of chemical interaction of plants. Kyiv: Naukova Dumka [in Ukrainian].
3. Zaprometov, M.N. (1993). Phenolic compounds. Distribution, metabolism and functions in plants. Moscow: Nauka [in Russian].
4. Sudachkova, N.E., Milyutina, I.L., Romanova, L.I. & Zhdanova K.O. (2008). Nonproteinogenic amino acids in the tissues of the main forest-forming species of coniferous Siberia. Coniferous of Boreal Zone, XXV, No. 3, pp.216-222 [in Russian].
5. Armaki, M.A. (2016). Assessment of seed priming on germination improvement of Lathyrus sativus under allelopathic components of Juglans regia. International Journal of Advances in Biotechnology, 7, No. 4, pp. 178-184. http://www.bipublication.com
6. Bajwa, R., Javaid, A. & Haneef, B. (1999). EM and VAM technology in Pakistan: Response of chickpea (Cicer arientinum L.) to co-inoculation with effective microorganisms (EM) and VA mycorrhiza under allelopathic stress. Pakistanian Journal of Botany, 31, pp. 387-396.
7. Chattha, F.A., Mehr-un-Nisa, Munawer, A.M. & Kousar, S. (2016). Coumarin-based heteroaromatics as plant growth regulators. Plant Growth., London : InTech.
8. Cruz-Ortega, R., Lara-Nunez, A. & Anaya, A. (2007). Allelochemical stress can trigger oxidative damage in receptor plants mode of action of phytotoxicity. Plant Signaling Behaviour, 2, No. 4, pp. 269-270. https://doi.org/10.4161/psb.2.4.3895
9. IAS - International Allelopathy Society. (1996). Constitution and Bylaw of IAS. Cadiz, Spain, IAS Newsletter. https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/51090242/ias-constitution-download-pdf-international-allelopathy-society
10. Khaliq, A., Matloob, A., Mahmood, S. & Wahid, A. (2013). Seed pre-treatments help improve maize performance under sorghum allelopathic stress. Journal of Crop Improvement, 27, No. 5, pp. 586-605. https://doi.org/10.1080/15427528.2013.812051
11. Li, Z.-H., Wang, Q., Ruan, X., Cun-De Pan & De-An Jiang (2010). Phenolics and Plant Allelopathy. Molecules, 15, pp. 8933-8952. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules15128933
12. Rai, V.K. (2002). Role of amino acids in plant responses to stresses. Biolologia Plantarum, 45, No. 4, pp. 481-487. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1022308229759
13. Saberi, M., Davari, A., Ebrahimzadeh, A., Shahraki, M. & Ansarinik, H. (2013). Influence of chemical stimulators to germination improvement, support and resistant of Trifolium rigidum species under stress allelopathic components of Eucalyptus camaldulensis. International Journal of Agriculture and Crop Science, 5, No. 14, pp. 1563-1570.
14. Saberi, M., Shahriari, A.R., Tarnian, F., Jafari, M. & Safari, H. (2011). Influence of seed priming on germination and seedling range species under allelopathic components. Frontiers of Agriculture in China, 5, No. 3, pp. 310-321. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11703-011-1098-y
15. Saberi, M. & Tarnian F. (2012). Effect of seed priming on germination improvement of germination Vicia villosa under allelopathic components of Eucalyptus camaldulensis. Plant Breeding and Seed Science, 66, pp. 99-108. https://doi.org/10.2478/v10129-011-0061-7
16. Zeid, I.M. (2009). Effect of arginine and urea on polyamines content and growth of bean under salinity stress. Acta Physiololgia Plantarum, 31, No. 1, pp. 65-70. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11738-008-0201-3