The advisability of use of winter wheat disease-resistant varieties in breading is substantiated. The results of monitoring of major diseases spread in agrocenoses of Ukraine Forest-Steppe are presented. It was found that the most prevalent ones were speckled leaf blotch, powdery mildew and brown rust. The results of many-years research of the resistance against diseases within collection of winter wheat varieties of different ecological origin are discussed. There were identified 76 new promising sources of resistance against pathogens and recommended for further breeding.
Keywords: winter wheat, fungal diseases, breading for disease resistance, sources of resistance
Full text and supplemented materialsFree full text: PDF
1. Afanasieva, O.G., Kyrylenko, V.V. & Gumenyuk, A.V. (2010). Effective sources of stability of a winter wheat in selection on immunity. Interagency thematic collection "Protection and plant quarantine", No. 56, pp. 12-20 [in Ukrainian].
2. Babayants, O.V. (1990). Genetics of wheat resistance to major diseases. Problems of increasing the resistance of crops and sunflower to diseases and pests. Collection of scientific works VSGI, pp. 5-15 [in Russian].
3. Babayants, L.T., Mashterkhazi, A., Vekhter, F., Neklesa, N., & Dubinina, L.A. (1988). Methods for breeding and assessing the resistance of wheat and barley to diseases in the SEV member countries. Prague [in Czech].
4. Babayants, L.T., Rybalka, A.I. & Babayants, O.V. (2001). New source material for wheat breeding for resistance to pathogens of infectious diseases, Wheat and triticale: Materials nauch. - practical. conf. "Green Revolution P.P. Lukyanenko", (pp. 329-336), Krasnodar [in Russian].
5. Babayants, O.V. (2011). Immunological characteristics of wheat plant resources and substantiation of genetic defense against pathogens of fungal etiology diseases in the Steppe of Ukraine (Extended abstract of Doctor thesis). National University of life and environmental sciences of Ukraine, Kyiv, Ukraine [in Ukrainian].
6. Vilkova, N.A., & Shapiro, I.D. (1985). Main stages of resistance of varieties in the protection of plants from pests, Resistance c. - h. plants to pests and plant protection problems. Collection of scientific papers VIZR. pp. 7-16 [in Russian].
7. Voronkova, A.A., & Puchkov, Yu.M. (1977). Selection of wheat for rust resistance. Krasnodar [in Russian].
8. Geshele, E.E. (1964). Basics of phytopathological evaluation in breeding. Moscow: Kolos [in Russian].
9. Goiman, E. (1954). Infectious plant diseases. by ed. M.S. Dunin. Moscow [in Russian].
10. .Yevtushenko, A.D., Lisovyi, M.P., Panteleiev, V.K. & Slisarenko, O.M. (2004). Immunity of plants. Kyiv: Kolobig [in Ukrainian].
11. Krasilovets, Yu.G, Zuza, V.S., Petrenkova, V.P. & Kyrychenko, V.V. (2006). Optimization of Integrated Field Crop Protection: Reference book. Ed. V.V. Kirichenko, Yu.G. Krasilovtsya. Kharkiv: Magda LTD [in Ukrainian].
12. Krivchenko, V.I. (1980). The study of the resistance of cereals to powdery mildew. Leningrad [in Russian].
13. Kuznetsova, T.E. (2006). Selection of barley for resistance to diseases in the North Caucasus (Extended abstract of Doctor thesis). All-Russian Scientific Research Institute of Rice, Krasnodar, Russia [in Russian].
14. Lesovoy, M.P., Kolnobritsky, N.I. & Rabinovich, S.V. (1990) Evaluation of the source material of winter wheat for resistance to leaf diseases. Selektsiya i semenovodstvo, No. 69, pp. 40-54 [in Ukrainian].
15. Lozinska, T.P, Vlasenko, V.A., & Solona, V.Y. (2009). Characteristics of soft wheat varieties for the elements of productivity and their estimation by the method of breeding indices. Technical sciences bullet Myronivsky Institute of Wheat nd. a. V.M. Remeslo, No. 9, pp. 117-129 [in Ukrainian].
16. Mishnov, A.K., Mikhailenko, A.V., Gorbunov, A.F. & Sarbat, V.M. (2002). Phytosanitary state of agrocenoses in Sumy region and measures to improve them. Visn Hark nats agrar un-th., No. 3, pp. 140-145. [in Ukrainian].
17. Petrenkova, V.P., Rabinovych, S.V., Cherniaieva, I.M. & Chornobai, L.M. (2004). Genetic resistance of winter and spring wheat to leaf diseases. Selektsiia i nasinnytstvo, No. 88, pp. 116-126 [in Ukrainian].
18. Petrenkova, V.P, Ryabchuk, V.K. (2006). Catalog of raw material for cereals, legumes and sunflower for selection for resistance to major diseases and pests in the conditions of the forest-steppe Ukraine. Kharkiv: Magda LTD [in Ukrainian].
19. Pyzhykova, G.V., Sanina, A.A., Suprun, L.M. & Kurakhtanova, T.I. (1989). Methods for Assessing the Resistance of Wheat Breeding Material and Varieties to Septoria Blotch. Moscow [in Russian].
20. Retman, S.V. (2010). Spotting of winter wheat. Kyiv: Kolobig [in Ukrainian].
21. Retman, S. V. (2007). Management of the development of phytoinfection, Karantyn i zakhyst roslyn, No. 1, pp. 19-20 [in Ukrainian].
22. Sklyarevsky, K.M. Output of spring wheat in the conditions of the forest-steppe of Ukraine: (Extended abstract of Doctor thesis). The V.Ya. Yuryev Plant Production Institute of UAAS, Kharkiv, Ukraine [in Ukrainian].
23. Trybel, S.O. (2006). Protection of seed crops. Nasinnytstvo, No. 9, pp. 13-16 [in Ukrainian]
24. Trybel, S.O. (2006). Resistant varieties: Reducing energy intensity and harvest losses from harmful organisms by means of breeding. Nasinnytstvo. No. 4, pp. 18-20 [in Ukrainian].
25. Shapiro, I. D., Vilkova, N.A., & Slepyan, E.I.(1986). Plant immunity to pests and diseases. Leningrad: Agropromizdat [in Russian].
26. Saari, E.E., & Prescott, J.M. (1975). A scale for appraising the foliar intensity of wheat diseases. Plant Dis. Rep., 59. pp. 377-380.